Kolor

Discussion
"Backseat Modding" and Other Issues

0 posts in this topic

Alright, so in the meeting held at 3/8/16, there was a lot of conversation about backseat modding. I do not think that most "Staff Members" know what backseat modding really is. When people say "Guardsweep", that is not backseat modding, that is suggestions that you should actually listen to instead of telling them to not backseat mod and muting or gagging them. I understand how backseat modding can be like, I have had much experience with this since I have been administrating servers for years. When people tell you "Oh, you need to ban him now for 3 hours!" That is when you can say something. But don't just go crazy on everyone once you see this. When you see this just tell them and say "Thank you, We need to follow protocol" or something to just get them to know that you saw. Do not just instantly gag or mute someone for saying this. I see this a lot from MANY officers.. But not just Officers, I see it from higher staff too. I understand that people get pissed off, but you do not need to show it to the server that our staff members get pissed at something so minimal that they might go off on you for anything bad you do. We are a friendly community and we are one of the few that actually give the kids that just come on to have a good time a chance. [B][U][SIZE=5]Issue 2[/SIZE][/U][/B] When a kid gets on, people are going to call him/her "squeaker" but I do see people including staff members join in on this. This is totally wrong, if anything, we should take this more seriously than RDM because that is a form of bullying called "Cyberbullying". You do not know what people's lives are like outside of this game, You guys hear this over and over but some of you do not seem to listen. If anything, I think we should remove the "warn" part for calling people squeakers because if anything, we do not want people who make fun of kids that just come on the server just to play games and have fun. When I do see this tho, I take it seriously and I honestly just want to kick the person and not give them any warnings because kids grow up into adults and we do not want kids to never get on our servers again because of one or two people just making fun of their voice, we want them to come back and tell their friends that you know what? This community will make sure that we are having fun and that no one will make fun of us. People in MINECRAFT get called squeakers even tho you cannot talk on the game, most people use skype or other communication tools. I was called a "squeaker" for 2 years but I was like yeah, whatever. I was a kid when I joined this community(Dishonored Legion) and I am still here. When I first joined, I remember [USER=1]@Heliuxen[/USER] being on and him just making everyone laugh. No one was making fun of people and when I saw this, I got on the next day and I saw some people calling others names. Heli just simply kicked the person and I was like, "Hey, I think I could stay here for a while" and as you see in Heli's posts, you can see that he hates the word "squeaker". [B][U][SIZE=5]Issue 3[/SIZE][/U][/B] I have seen many people who do not know what to do. Including players, members, and staff. If a member needs help, you need to help them. Again, if you are a staff member, the players life is more important than yours(In JB). But I see people still freezing themselves and using that you were doing admin business as an excuse for multiple things. I see people just going straight to muting or gagging and I see people just abuse their powers and threaten people. I do not know how you would feel if you start the threaten people when you do not even know their life, but when I know is that I would feel like shit. Even tho I was a "dick", I committed to changing and if you have not met me when I was a dick, I was honestly a dick. But I still had a boundary. I knew who to mess with and who not to mess with. To staff members, If you have no clue what to do in a situation, ASK SOMEONE!!! I cannot stress this enough because I do see staff members not know what to do in a situation and they just take a guess on what to do and then the player messages me on steam or just freaks out in game and winds up getting banned because he is pissed off of what happened with that staff member. Banning has always been our last resort, when someone Mass RDMs, I do not just straight up ban him. I actually take him into interrogation and I ask him why did he kill all those people. [B][U][SIZE=5]Issue 4 [/SIZE][/U][/B] Ignoring reports from players has always been an issue. I see many people just continue on with their gameplay even when I tell them that there is an RDM report and either they just finish it or they half-ass it. I am going to be straight forward here. If you are mad about a promotion and think you can just wing it, then you are completely wrong. You mine as well resign because you applied to become a staff member to DEDICATE your time to helping the server and the players. Your gameplay does not matter when you become a staff member. If you think that your gameplay is more important, then please we do not want you here because in the staff application, it says "What qualities make you fit to be a leader?" As a leader, most players look up to staff members and see what they are doing. We do have good members like [USER=400]@Brian Williams[/USER] that actually report things and not just go on a rampage and go crazy about it. Leaders are people who are looked up to and when you get pissed off or you let your rage out on the server, many people may think that "Oh, ok well a staff member called someone a name so that means we can say anything we want." No. If I ever see this from a staff member and I see disrespect from another person and they say that a day ago they saw a staff member yelling at players or something. I will see you as a whole new person and you will see a whole new person out of me. Clearly, I am not one who can demote or have much power, but again, I am not here for the power and I am not going to stay on the staff members side because they are my fellow staff member. I actually had a talk with a player and he said "Well, you are probably going to protect him because he is your fellow staff member." No, we do not want this, we do not want people to think that if you have to talk about another staff member to another staff member that you will not care because he is one of your friends or whatever else not. I am pretty sure that there is a new department about this specific reason and it lays out all the punishments and some counseling if you need to talk about a staff member or report them for some reason. [B][U][SIZE=5]Issue 5[/SIZE][/U][/B] This is going to be a short one but, I see people skipping steps and just going straight to muting or gagging. I covered this above but I feel like I did not cover it to well. When people start to spam people or they are just disrespectful to people, I take them into interrogation and I tell them, Hey, you are getting on the staff's nerves. You are not in trouble but just giving you a heads up that you are going to be punished if you do not cool it down a little bit. This happened to me and [USER=312]@Blunted Bear[/USER].. I became his favorite staff member because I kept giving him chances but when enough is enough, you obviously cannot do anything else. I was going to bring this up at the meeting, but [USER=7]@ForgetfulCat[/USER] ignored me :( So I told him I would write a wall just like this :)

This looks like you wrote notes during the meeting right? any way this is pretty helpful in any way Should this be in a private area or nah? Also I completely agree with the backseat moderating issue, a lot of people don't even know what it is and mute people for saying "slay him for dening lr". I honestly think it's a good thing since they are just helping us unless they shout it in their mic with a sarcastic accent.

[QUOTE="Pc1086, post: 12830, member: 47"]This looks like you wrote notes during the meeting right? any way this is pretty helpful in any way Should this be in a private area or nah? Also I completely agree with the backseat moderating issue, a lot of people don't even know what it is and mute people for saying "slay him for dening lr". I honestly think it's a good thing since they are just helping us unless they shout it in their mic with a sarcastic accent.[/QUOTE] I did not write notes during the meeting.. I just brought up issues that I thought were most important and thought that the OSPs could maybe inforce a little more..

[COLOR=#ffffff][B]Since i have been gone fore the past few week i probably don't have much of a say on these, but i will try:[/B][/COLOR] i Kind of find backseat modding a little more... open if you will. I am okay with people telling others the rules since staff are usually busy doing something or just don't give two shits to explain it to them so we have to have users explain rules. But i hate it when it is CONSTANT. Since i've been busy with finals, real life, and overdue projects for the past 2-3 weeks i can't say if it is still a problem, but i remember how constant people kept telling others the rules, even though they explained it not even 10 minutes ago. I also find it backseat modding when they try to enforce rules. and i don't mean the "You''l get slain now" Or "Staff kick him" kind, i mean when they literally try to tell the person what to do. I had to discuss with someone about the times since he gave prisoners 5 seconds to move to a waypoint, and then another guard was saying "Invalid, you need to give eight second". I know it's in the rules but i mean come on, it's literally just 2 seconds! now if they said you have 3 seconds then i would get that. But telling people what to do based of the rules isn't their job, it's staff's job. Now i know others have other opinions, but this is just my POV. As for the squeaker thing: Staff, if they only do it one or two times, take it as a joke. But if they say it in a nasty tone, or are doing it constantly, do your job! You have to remember this is the internet, in this world, anyone can take offense to anything, and being called a squeaker is one of them. And the fact that some of you JOIN IN on it makes me sick. I know we're a little lenient on disrespect here, but you guys need to have better judgement. if anything Squeaker is almost on the same level as Nigger. You wouldn't walk up to a black guy and say "Sup nigger?" (unless you know them) And you wouldn't walk up to a young kid and say "Sup Squeaker?" But that is what you guys are doing when you join in on that. Kolor seem to handle everything on issue 3 so i'm ignoring that one. To any newbies out there or old ones that can't get it through their thick skull, i am going to prioritize the people that are important when it comes to staying alive. Warden > Guards > Prisoners > Rebellers > Staff. I don't care if you have to be in spectator for an hour. If it helps you do your staff duties, do it. I've had to kill myself multiple times just so i could concentrate on reports and other staff stuff. I'm just going to flat out say it: Your life in GMOD, doesn't mean shit anymore the minute you sign up on staff. And just flat out ignoring reports is not responsible. I know it get tedious, hell it's probably the most boring thing to do next to watching grass grow. But you signed up for this, so please deliver. As for the promotions thing: SUCK IT UP! "But i've benn playing with you guys for 5 weeks!" And if you didn't get promoted in that time clearly something your doing isn't working. We promote based on how well you can handle your job and more. We're even judging you based on how you act Outside of your job, such as playing CAH or Brawlahalla with us, or just even talking with us on TS. Think of people who promote others as high schoolers: We hear and See almost Everything, and we judge you for it, Harshly. and now issue 5: Please just follow guidlines. They are there for a reason. And i am speaking from experience that guidlines can only take you so far, but please try to follow them as best as you can. I know i probably repeated a bunch of stuff that kolor said but if hearing it from a moderator didn't work, maybe hearing it from a higher up would. Now like i said, i have been gone for a while, but i still check the forums, and i still listen to rumors, and i can tell that some of us are starting to get lazy with staffing. From what i hear, the way people are staffing is kind of hypocritical. They get away with stuff, but the minute a normal person does it they get yelled at. Let's not be known as the community that does that. We always try to be the family friendly server. Does that mean we have to give a little tough love? Yeah it does, but we still want to be as friendly as possible. TL/DR: Do your job correctly, and everything will be just fine.

I used to be a staff, but I will say Kolor, you are right in every bit in this I am at fault for issue 5 and we have seen cases of backseat modding (see Axel if you think there isn't backseat modders). I like this. Albeit I lost my staff position, this is an important issue to discuss