Heliuxen

Important
Server Rank Announcement

9 posts in this topic

Well, as I have thought more and more, I've mulled over the idea. I stuck, in all honesty. Part of me wants to disable our ranking on GameTracker, I find it to be something that enables competition, which, is silly. Being that my goal was never to be #1 Jailbreak, to me, I find it to be somewhat empty, as I knew it would happen at some point.

Nonetheless, I am somewhat tired of hearing from people "We're #1! ALRIIIIIIIIIGHT!" Why does it matter though? Is it some e-peen contest that I was unaware of?

Honestly, being #1 anything is relatively horrible. You get more trolls, more people come to the server to cause trouble, it isn't a benefit.

I don't know if it's just me, I was glad to see all of your hardwork pay off, but in my eyes, being #1 is an illusion of a "successful community." Just because we are #1 doesn't make us successful, it doesn't make anyone successful. A successful community, in my eyes, is a community that gives players a place to play and enjoy gaming on a large scale.

If all we want to be is #1, please give me that head's up, because that was never my plan. In fact, I somewhat hope we lose #1 just so I don't have to hear about it anymore.

However, I will say, the people who are excited about #1, in this community or out, have unrealistic views of what success is. While you should find some pride in achieving such a feat, it shouldn't come at the cost of the players, which I hardheartedly think it always does.

I don't plan to hang up banners all around my room and on the website declaring:

#1 JAILBREAK SERVER ON GARRY'S MOD! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now, what am I excited about? I am excited to receive the constant messages praising our community and what we do. I am proud that we are all here making a difference in players lives. That is what GAMING IS ABOUT.

TL;DR: Fuck rank, if I keep hearing about how we're #1 I'm going to NR the server. Players are more important.

- Heliuxen

Super Moon-Zinger Z on Stand-By...

Now that I've actualy read it all, let me reply...

In most of the cases when people say that we're number one they don't do it on a competition-wise style, think about a father being proud his son won a competition, the father doesn't care about the other childrens, just his own, and he feels pride seeing his child winning. That's how it is on my case anyway.

It sure went over the head of some of our members (me for example, for a couple of days that is). But that's still good overrall, it pushes our community to keep working twice as good as we were to mantain the rank.

And getting real here, without the gametracker listing we'll probably stop receiving as much players as we do.

Agreed. The trolls and mass rdmers are definitely apparent now. I am very confident its the #1 ranking making it a prime target. Haha at least your staff have something to do now :BangHead:

We are working to hopefully negate the RDM, however, it is very difficult and unfortunate. We punish them, yet they come back anyway. Sometimes they RDM, sometimes they don't. It's the name of the game!

I will never agree that we should take away our rank on JB, its a milestone for our community and an achievement for others. Other communities that wants our place on GT can come and get it, but I see it pointless to null such an achievement as big as this one... That's like disabling comments on a youtube video because the youtuber doesn't want hate comments on it. I'd also imagine that members or staff use this achievement as something to keep their confidence. "Hey I am staff on the #1 Jailbreak server on Garry's Mod, Dad" or "Look! My member application was approved for this community that has the #1 Jailbreak server!!!!"

I can go on and on about how members and staff benefit from this rank, but the bottom line is being #1 on Jailbreak is beyond the rank and should not be taken down because of negative factions.

I will never agree that we should take away our rank on JB, its a milestone for our community and an achievement for others. Other communities that wants our place on GT can come and get it, but I see it pointless to null such an achievement as big as this one... That's like disabling comments on a youtube video because the youtuber doesn't want hate comments on it. I'd also imagine that members or staff use this achievement as something to keep their confidence. "Hey I am staff on the #1 Jailbreak server on Garry's Mod, Dad" or "Look! My member application was approved for this community that has the #1 Jailbreak server!!!!" or "There is this amazing kid, his name is Pirate Jay, and he is a big role model for me

I can go on and on about how members and staff benefit from this rank, but the bottom line is being #1 on Jailbreak is beyond the rank and should not be taken down because of negative factions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Well..... Damn..... I change my story because of this.... now I see it.... thee light!! Ok so now that I got my silys out xD we can talk business: This community is gaining popularity because of being #1, before when we were not we had 10% of players, staff but there was always staff on in the middle of the day, I saw no point of getting new staff, if they were only on when other staff were on. But now, we have 2-5% staff because of the #1 and now I think we need more staff to stop the trolls and rdms and disrespect, see sometimes staff dont notice something, and others do. Example: A few days ago I was on with some other staff, then people starting making fun of Spook for his voice, they called him a squeaker, I noticed the comment, others did not. I straight up said "Stop making fun of Spook for being a young kid with a high voice, we all were and some still are, this is a fucking squeaker server SOOOO if you want to leave, hit ESC and Disconnect and play a fucking squeaker free server." then Spook said "Yeah! That is why I like this server, because I can use my mic, the other servers perma banned me"